Hosting an IT security conference at its Stanford, Connecticut HQ, Gartner, the analyst firm targeted “the five most over-hyped threats”. According to Gartner, the five most over-hyped security threats are:
- Internet Protocol (IP) telephony is unsafe
- Mobile malware will cause widespread damage
- "Warhol Worms" will make the Internet unreliable for business traffic and virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Regulatory compliance equals security
- Wireless hot spots are unsafe
Although how the fourth can be classed as a threat is unclear.